It is with distinct honor and excitement that I welcome all of you to the 2022-23 school year. I trust you and your families have had a wonderful and enjoyable summer vacation. Wow, I cannot believe we are only three weeks away from the first day of the school year. The first day of the 2022-23 school year is Tuesday, September 6, 2022. The first day of school is scheduled to be a full day. Before I begin with some of the new changes for the upcoming school year, I would like to thank you for all of your patience, understanding and your partnership to help your scholars and district through what I consider was the most challenging school year in modern history.
There are several new initiatives that we will begin the school year implementing, which are as follows:
• The District will pilot a new Math Curriculum that is entitled: Big Ideas – This new curriculum will be for Grades K – 12. We should see great growth and achievement in our state test scores next Spring.
• The District has hired a new Food Service Company (SFE – Southwest Foodservice Excellence) to handle student breakfast and lunches. The company started with the District on July 1, 2022. SFE did a great job taking care of the meals for Summer School.
• The District has placed new kitchens in all of our elementary schools, which will allow all of elementary school students to have access to hot lunches for the first time in recent history. Hot lunches at the elementary schools will begin September 6.
• The District will also offer a new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Program at the Elementary School Level. We have hired a new STEM teacher and all elementary students will be exposed to this program.
• The District will offer a new SEL Program for Middle & High School Students entitled: Positive You! This program is designed to meet the Social and Emotional Needs of our middle school students
• The District has also adopted a new High School Science Curriculum for Grades 9–12 and will launch it during the 2022-23 school year. The curriculum is for Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
• CCS will also launch the new iCampus Virtual Academy, which will be housed at our Price Drive Location. If you have not registered your child, official registration dates are: August 15th, 16th and 17th at each school building from 9:00 AM – 2 PM
• Additionally, in the 2022-23 school year, CCS will pilot a new Digital Report Card at the Middle and High School Level that will be accessible on parent and student cell phones on the PowerSchool App. The district will provide Professional Development for parents and students to access the Report Card. Elementary School Students will continue to receive Report Cards via hard copy throughout the first semester of the school year. If everything works well with the secondary schools, elementary schools will pilot the Digital Report Card throughout the second semester of the school year
• The District will also launch and implement a new Academic Recovery Center for students who are suspended from a minimum day of 2 and a maximum day of 10. The Academic Recovery Center will be located at our Price Drive Location. Students will be required to do their school work while at the Academic Recovery Center. If students attend the ARC, students will not be charged with an out of school suspension; however, an in-school suspension will be recorded. This initiative is initiated to keep students focused on instruction and academic achievement, lower out of suspensions and provide parents with a different option for students in leu of staying home. Transportation will not be provided. Parents and Guardians will be responsible for getting their child to and from the school. Please be advised, if students fail to report to the Academic Recovery Center, an out of school suspension will be recorded.
• As it relates to Athletics, the District has increased its expectations for student athletes. All student athletes are required to pass 5 out of 6 classes and four of them must be the core classes, such as English, Math, Science and Social Studies.
• The District is working to continue to improve all safety measures at all school and office locations with Threat Assessment Training for Teachers and Armed Intruder Training for students and teachers.
• The District launched its new Strategic Plan on July 1st, which is the vision and plan for Clintondale Community Schools.
Finally, as we open the school year, the District will host Meet the Teacher Night on Thursday, September 1, 2022, from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM at each school campus. Please come out and meet your child’s principal and teachers. We look forward to seeing each of you. As we open the school year, our Office of Technology has developed a new email for parent and community concerns. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yours in education,
Rodriguez F. Broadnax