DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS AND FINANCE
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS AND FINANCE
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until filled.
52-week position, Administrative, Non-Union
REPORTS TO: Board of Education (Oversight by the Superintendent of Schools)
SUPERVISES: The Business Office Operations of the District.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Education or Public Administration (Master’s Degree is Preferred)
2. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Financial Manager, or
Michigan School Business Officials (MSBO) Chief Financial Officer Certification is preferred.
3. At least five (5) years of increasingly successful school business experience in an administrative leadership
capacity in a K-12 district, I.S.D. environment or in a public/private organizations, preferably as a Business
Manager, Director or Assistant Director of Finance, Business, or Similar Role.
RESPONSIBILITIES not limited to:
1. Reviews and recommends Board policies and administrative procedures related to budgeting,
accounting, maintenance, operations, investments, purchasing, transportation and cafeteria, in a
manner that assures compliance with accounting regulations established by the State of Michigan
and in a manner that maintains and enhances the financial integrity of the district.
2. Provides leadership for the development of the annual General Fund Budget and the Special
3. Manages the General Fund, Debt Retirement Fund, Capital Improvements Fund(s), Food Service
Fund, Child Care Fund, and Student Activity Funds in a fiscally responsible manner with increased
4. Prepares, analyzes and provides financial information for administrative decision-making.
5. Ensures the establishment and maintenance of appropriate internal controls and system processes.
6. With the assistance and support of the Superintendent’s cabinet (Curriculum Team and Specialized
Student Services), annually develops and presents fiscal year forecasts of the District’s General Fund.
7. Supervises the following areas of responsibility.
a) Purchase of operating supplies, purchased services, and equipment for the district.
b) School Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner programs.
c) Business Office.
8. Serves as a member of the Superintendent’s cabinet and as an Administrator.
9. Administers the district’s risk management program.
10. Provides leadership and oversight for the annual financial audit of district funds.
11. Provides leadership and oversight of a property inventory system and provides required reports to
insurance carriers and others.
12. Provides leadership and oversight with new bond opportunities and with refinancing existing
13. Participates in labor contract negotiations at the direction of the Board of Education, Negotiations
Team Leadership and/or the Superintendent of Schools and provides necessary and pertinent
financial data to the Board of Education team(s).
community organizations regarding business services.
15. Prepares the Freedom of Information (FOIA) information pertaining to the business office.
16. Prepares materials and attends the meetings of the Board of Education.
17. Presents at Public Hearings regarding business office topics.
18. Attends Committee meetings required of the position.
19. Leads multiple projects and supports/motivates effective teamwork to produce quality services and
20. Leads the development and directs the implementation of strategic and/or financial and/or
operational plans, projects, programs and systems that align with those of the district’s long-term
21. Analyzes and solves strategic and operational issues related to all business affairs functions and
22. Promotes and supports the District’s culture by reinforcing Board of Education goals, policies and
procedures and the District’s long-term plan.
23. When requested, makes presentations at Regular or Special Board Meetings, Administrative
Sessions, and Board Work Sessions.
24. Completes Medicaid, FID, Annual Disclosure, Standard & Poor reporting.
25. Completes L-4021 and MC223 tax forms authorizing the township to collect taxes on behalf of the
district, as well as any other tax information as necessary and compliant with the law.
26. Completes all IRS reporting, not limited to 1099s, 941s, 990Ts, W2s.
27. Monitors and financial reporting of State and Federal grants as well as familiar with MEGS+, SIGMA ,
CMS, and other state systems.
28. Prepares alternative education reports to include Section 23 billing.
29. Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools or Board of Education.
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL POSTING START DATE: This position will remain open until
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience and competitive benefit package
If you are interested in applying for this position, submit a letter of interest, copies of college or university transcripts,
copies of degrees and appropriate certificates, resume and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Clintondale Community Schools
In compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disability Act of 1990, and
Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act of 1977, it is the policy of Clintondale Community Schools that no person shall, on the basis of
race, color, religion, military status, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual orientation), disability, age (except as
authorized by law), height, weight, or marital status be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be
subjected to, discrimination during any program, activity, service or in employment. If you have any questions or need to
contact someone about discrimination of any kind in the school district, contact the Superintendent at 35100 Little Mack,
Clinton Township, Michigan 48035.